If you are planning to remodel your bathroom, one of the most important decisions you have to make is whether to install a bathtub or a shower. Both options have their pros and cons, depending on your needs, preferences, budget, and space. Here is a brief comparison of bathtubs and showers, based on some common criteria:
– Space: Showers take up less floor space than bathtubs, which can be an advantage if you have a small bathroom. A standard shower stall or walk-in shower displaces only nine square feet on average, whereas a standard-sized tub occupies roughly 13 square feet. However, bathtubs can also create a focal point and add visual interest to your bathroom, especially if you choose a freestanding or claw-foot style.
– Cost: Bathtubs are often cheaper to install than showers, depending on the type and quality of the fixture. Standard bathtubs and shower stalls are at the low end, while whirlpool tubs and walk-in showers are pricier.
– Water usage: Showers use less water than bathtubs, which can help you save money and conserve resources. However, you can also reduce your water consumption by installing a low-flow shower head or taking shorter showers.
– Relaxation: Bathtubs offer a spa-like experience, ideal for relaxation after a long day. You can soak in warm water, add bubbles, salts, or oils, and enjoy a glass of wine, a good book, or some music. Bathtubs are also family-friendly, making bath time easier and more fun for young children. Showers, on the other hand, are more efficient and refreshing, especially if you have a rainfall or waterfall shower head that releases water soothingly.
– Accessibility: Showers are more accessible than bathtubs, especially for the elderly or those with mobility issues. Getting in and out of a tub can be challenging and potentially hazardous, while showers can be equipped with grab bars, seats, and slip-resistant mats to make them safer and more comfortable. However, bathtubs can also be modified to improve accessibility, such as installing a walk-in tub or adding a transfer bench.
How plumbers can help you install both
Whether you choose a bathtub or a shower, you will need the help of a professional plumber to install it properly and safely. Plumbers can handle the plumbing, drainage, and ventilation aspects of the installation, as well as the electrical wiring if you have a whirlpool tub or a steam shower. Plumbers can also advise you on the best location, size, and style of the fixture, as well as the materials, parts, and accessories you will need.
To find a plumber near you, you can contact us today!